Columbia Back Injury Attorney
The back is the most injury-prone part of the body, and is one of the most common causes of workers’ compensation claims. Similarly, back injuries are often a result of motor vehicle crashes and other incidents in which a personal injury claim is relevant to your recovery. Here at the Marc Brown Law Firm, our Columbia back injury attorney specializes in these types of work-caused injuries, as well as back injuries caused in motor vehicle collisions, slip and falls, bicycle crashes, and other personal injury cases. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve.
Five Types of Back Injuries
- Bulging, Slipped, or Herniated Disc—The spinal column is made up of the spinal cord, vertebrae, and jelly-filled discs that act as shock absorbers between the vertebrae. When one of these soft discs is pinched, or pinched so hard that it bursts (herniates) the worker often suffers extreme back pain, numbness and tingling, immobility, loss of strength, and other serious problems.
- Torn or Strained Back Muscle—The most common back injury is simply a strained or torn muscle. While muscles heal more quickly than bone and tendon due to their ample blood flow, many strains and muscle tears go on to become chronic conditions that last for months, years, or permanently. Taking time off work and seeking expert medical care, including physical therapy and massage, is critical in resolving this type of back injury.
- Strained Ligament or Tendon—Another painful strain or tear back injury is a strained/torn ligament or tendon. This type of back injury is often caused by repetitive motion or overexertion, such as lifting a heavy object from a bending position, or lifting and rotating at the same time. Or, a strained tendon or ligament can simply be caused by long term degradation due to the worker’s demanding job.
- Arthritis and Tendonitis—Chronic inflammation of a tendon or a joint (tendonitis and arthritis) are common among workers who perform physical labor on the job. This type of inflammation can cause stiffness, pain, immobility, weakness, and degradation of the supporting tendons, ligaments, and muscle in the affected region. These types of repetitive strain back injuries are very common, yet hard to prove in a workers’ compensation claim because employers/insurers usually argue that the condition was pre-existing or caused outside of the workplace.
- Fractured Vertebrae—The most serious type of back injury is a traumatic blow, fall, or other impact to the vertebrae. A broken back may require surgery, or at the minimum months off of work or light duty. Tragically, a fractured vertebrae can sever the spinal cord, resulting in temporary or permanent paralysis. Or death. Fractured vertebrae are common in slip and falls, motor vehicle collisions, and other unintentional personal injury cases.
Call a Columbia Back Injury Attorney Today for Help
Whether you were hurt on the job or were involved in a traffic wreck, we can help you get the compensation you need to recover. We urge you to reach out to the Marc Brown Law Firm today at (803) 848-0008 to schedule a free consultation with a Columbia back injury attorney.