Car Accident Attorney – Sumter & Columbia, SC
In South Carolina, motor vehicle accidents, specifically car accidents, are extremely common. In 2017, there were 2,473 motor vehicle accidents reported in Sumter County and 13,191 reported in Richland County. On average, a car accident occurs in South Carolina every 4.9 seconds, and fatal accidents occur every 10 hours. These accidents are most often caused by distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and speeding & reckless drivers. If you’ve been involved in a collision, you need legal guidance from an experienced Sumter & Columbia, SC Car Accident Attorney. Contact the Marc Brown Law Firm today.
When a car accident happens, your life may be turned upside down in a matter of seconds. Injuries from car accidents can reduce your enjoyment of life, your ability to earn income, and your ability to care for yourself and your family. Rather than dealing with the aftermath of an accident on your own and leaving your recovery up to chance, we encourage you to hire a skilled, passionate car accident attorney. Attorney Marc Brown is ready to begin work on your case today and is here to fight for you so that you can focus on getting better and maintaining your day to day life. Contact us to request a free consultation.
An Accident Can Change Your Life
It only takes a split second for a crash to occur that leaves you with costly property damage, high medical bills, and serious injuries that impair you and your family’s quality of life moving forward. In addition to the economic costs of a car accident, you may also suffer non-economic losses as well, including psychological harm. Types of damages you may be able to recover include:
- Property Damage
- Medical Expenses, including physical therapy, chiropractic care, and rehabilitation costs
- Physical Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Future Earning Potential
- Lost Quality of Life
- Punitive Damages
Types Of Car Accident Cases We Handle
At the Marc Brown Law Firm, we want you to know that we are here for you. We have experience navigating various types of complex car accident claims, including claims involving:
- Uninsured Drivers
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Drunk Drivers
- Distracted Drivers
- Severe Injuries
- Fatal Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Head-On, Rollover, Rear-end, Side-swipe, and T-bone Collisions
- …And More
If you are involved in a car accident, you can count on the Marc Brown Law Firm to have the skillset and experience that your case demands.
Medical Treatment After An Accident
You should seek medical treatment as soon as possible after being involved in a car accident. Although you may not show any signs of injury, symptoms could present days after the accident. It is important for your health and your potential claim that you seek medical treatment after a car accident. You should provide the physician with as much information as you can about the accident and your symptoms so they can make the most thorough assessment possible.
Your Rights After An Accident
After a car accident in Sumter, SC, or the surrounding areas, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Because South Carolina is an at-fault car insurance state, you may seek compensation after an accident by:
- Filing a claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver
- Filing a lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver
- Filing a claim with your own insurance company if you maintain certain coverage types, such as Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM Coverage) and/or Under-Insured
- Motorist Coverage (UIM Coverage).
It is important to remember that you do not have to provide a written or recorded statement to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Also, it is not in your best interest to provide a medical records authorization to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Often, insurance companies will try to use this information to increase your degree of fault and minimize your degree of injury.
Limits On Recovery
Note that while you have the right to recover compensation, your recovery can be limited by two factors:
- Degree of fault. Typically, an at-fault driver (or their insurer) is responsible for paying for damages after a crash. If you contributed to the accident through negligence of your own, your award can be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault.
- Statute of limitations. In South Carolina, you only have three years from the date of your accident to file a claim for damages. If you wait longer than three years, you can be barred from recovery. So contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident.
Get Legal Help Today – Call Columbia Car Accident Attorney Marc Brown
If you are involved in a car crash, you may have fears about the future and anxiety about being able to get the settlement you deserve. When you call the Marc Brown Law Firm, you can count on our knowledgeable car accident attorney to help you get maximum compensation for your injuries.
Insurance companies often try to offer low settlements to “make the claim go away,” but having an experienced attorney represent you is proven to increase the chance of you receiving maximum compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation to get started.