South Carolina Wrongful Death Attorney
If your loved one’s life was taken by an act of carelessness, an attorney can help you seek justice. We understand that no amount of compensation can right the wrong of your loved one being taken away from you and your family. South Carolina wrongful death attorney Marc Brown is here to help you seek compensation that will pay for your loved one’s medical expenses, their lost lifetime earnings, and other damages so that you do not suffer financial hardship on top of crushing grief.
Damages in a South Carolina Wrongful Death Claim
There is no way to put a price on a human life. However, damages in a South Carolina wrongful death claim or lawsuit include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering of the deceased
- Plaintiff’s loss of joy of life
- Emotional distress of plaintiff
- Loss of companionship/consortium
- Lost lifetime earnings of the deceased
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Other incurred expenses, such as added cost of child care
Proving Fault in a Wrongful Death Case Requires a Violation of Duty of Care
All members of society, including businesses and corporations, owe a duty of care to others. This duty of care depends on the relationship between the various parties involved. Winning a lawsuit or wrongful death claim depends on establishing the relationship between the parties as well as proving that the defendant’s negligence or recklessness led to your loved one’s death.
- Traffic Collisions—All road users have a duty of care that includes obeying all traffic laws and operating their vehicles with a reasonable amount of prudence.
- Slip and Fall Premises Claims—Property and business owners have a duty of care to all invitees and licensees (people who were on the premises legally) to maintain safe walking conditions for all abilities.
- Nursing Home Negligence—Nursing homes must provide a certain standard of care to patients regarding the treatment of illnesses, assistance with food and water, and a wide variety of other services.
- Employer Recklessness—While an employer usually cannot be held liable in a wrongful death claim, if they violated their duty of care to follow safety rules and regulations by acting recklessly, they can be successfully sued for compensation.
Call South Carolina Wrongful Death Attorney Marc Brown
As the decedent’s spouse, child, parent, or other close family member, you should not be left to pay medical bills and other expenses simply because another party was texting while driving, failed to maintain their premises, or made a critical error during surgery. Regardless of how your loved one was taken from you; we can help you seek a small semblance of justice through financial compensation. Reach out to South Carolina wrongful death attorney Marc Brown today at (803) 848-0008 to schedule consultation, free of charge.