Marion Wrongful Death Attorney

Losing a loved one in a fatal accident can be a devastating experience. However, you may have found that your family member was killed in an accident because someone else was extremely negligent with their safety. While this experience can be harrowing and painful for your family, it does leave an opportunity to pursue the compensation you need for closure and justice.

At Marc Brown Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping you navigate your wrongful death claim when you need the help of a Marion wrongful death attorney. Your personal injury attorneys in Marion will provide the tools and services needed to navigate the legal complexities of your claim, pursuing the support you and your family need to get through these difficult times. If you are unsure where to begin with your legal claim, do not hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation.

Losing a Loved One Can Lead to a Complex Legal Claim

A wrongful death claim can be difficult or even feel impossible, whether your loved one suffered a fatal brain injury or was killed in a motor vehicle wreck- especially without the help of a wrongful death attorney in Marion on your side. When a personal injury claim is filed, it is typically filed by the injured party. However, in a wrongful death claim, the injured party is deceased, meaning responsibility for suing falls on someone else.

According to the South Carolina Code of Laws Unannotated Section 15-51-10, only the personal representative or executor of the estate can file a wrongful death claim in South Carolina. However, while they may seek damages, those damages may go to the surviving family members, including the spouse, children, surviving parents, or heirs.

The complexities of a wrongful death claim do not end there, and because of these legal issues, it is easy to lose that compensation without the help of a wrongful death lawyer. For example, wrongful death claims must be filed within 3 years, along with other personal injury claims under the South Carolina Code of Laws Section 15-3-530. Fortunately, whether you are the personal representative or a family member trying to get fairly compensated, we are here to help you with these complex situations.

Families May Be Eligible for Compensation

When you have lost a loved one in a fatal accident, you may have grounds for compensation, but determining what your claim is worth can be difficult. This process can be especially difficult if multiple family members handle these expenses or are impacted by the loss of financial support in this situation. If you have been impacted by a wrongful death caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to seek compensation for some or all the following damages:

  • Final medical bills
  • Funeral and burial costs 
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering of the deceased
  • Loss of affection or companionship

In a wrongful death lawsuit, these damages are included in your economic and non-economic damages or the financial and emotional suffering you have experienced because of the accident. The specific values of these damages will depend on the specifics of your losses, your relationship to the deceased, and the impact of this loss on your life. Marc Brown Law Firm will work hard to maximize the value of your claim.

Do Not Hesitate to Seek Compassionate Legal Support From a Marion Wrongful Death Law Firm

If you have lost a loved one in a fatal accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the suffering that someone else has put you and your family through. However, you may also have difficulty pursuing this compensation without an experienced Marion wrongful death lawyer, as the at-fault party may try to avoid compensating you at their own expense. Fortunately, you do not have to accept a low settlement offer.

You can instead reach out to Marc Brown Law Firm for the help you need following a loved one’s fatal accident. We offer free consultations, meaning you can speak to us before you ever make a decision about your claim. To learn more about what to expect from your claim, reach out by phone or complete our online contact form.