Child Injury Lawyer – Sumter & Columbia, SC
When your child goes to school or you drop your child off at daycare, you expect him or her to have a safe and enriching experience. Likewise, when you take your child to a playground, amusement park, or the zoo, you expect to create memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life. You do not expect your child to suffer a serious injury, and yet this is an all-too-common occurrence at schools and other venues throughout central South Carolina.
At the Marc Brown Law Firm, we are passionate about helping families recover just compensation when their children suffer serious injuries due to others’ carelessness or neglect. With offices in Columbia and Sumter, we represent families throughout the Palmetto State. If your child was injured and you have any reason to suspect that someone else might possibly be to blame, we encourage you to contact us promptly. Attorney Marc Brown will thoroughly assess your family’s legal rights and determine if you have grounds to pursue a financial recovery.
Learn more below, and contact us today to request a free consultation with a knowledgeable child injury lawyer.
Was Your Child Injured on Public or Private Property, or While in Someone Else’s Care?
Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. While this may be true, it is not an excuse for children to suffer avoidable injuries. Property owners, school and daycare administrators, and others have a legal obligation to take reasonable measures to ensure children’s safety. And when they fall short of this obligation, they can be held fully accountable under South Carolina law.
1. Injuries to Children at South Carolina Daycare and Child Care Centers
In South Carolina, daycare and child care centers are subject to various safety rules and regulations in addition to being held to the same standards as other businesses. When you drop your child off at daycare, you are entitled to expect that your child will receive adequate care and attention in a safe environment, and you should not have to worry that he or she will be injured while you are at work.
Unfortunately, daycare and child care center accidents happen frequently. Our firm represents families in cases against centers in Columbia, Sumter, and throughout South Carolina involving:
- Unsafe toys and play equipment (including toys and equipment that are not age-appropriate)
- Unqualified, inexperienced, and abusive teachers, administrators, and staff
- Unsanitary conditions, exposure to cleaning products and other chemicals, and other health and safety hazards
2. Injuries to Children at Public and Private Schools in South Carolina
Similarly, schools are supposed to be safe places for children to learn and grow. From preschool through high school, parents and students rely on teachers and school personnel to provide protection against physical and psychological harm. Sadly, many teachers and administrators simply do not have the dedication required to adequately protect students, and many cases of intentional verbal, physical, and sexual abuse have been widely reported as well. Attorney Marc Brown represents clients in South Carolina in cases involving:
- Unsafe playgrounds, gymnasiums and sports venues at public and private schools
- Unsafe games, sports equipment, and vocational tools
- Verbal, physical, and sexual assaults by other students, teachers, administrators, and staff members
3. Injuries to Children at Other Locations
In addition to daycare centers and schools, children face injury risks at various other locations as well. Importantly, even if you were present at the time of your child’s injury, your family may still be entitled to financial compensation. In many cases, hidden dangers mean that there is simply nothing parents can do to protect their children from serious injuries. Our practice covers injuries to children occurring on all types of public and private property, including:
- Zoos, gardens, and amusement parks
- Playgrounds and swimming pools in neighborhoods and public parks
- Lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams
- Gymnastics centers, trampoline parks, climbing gyms, fields, and other sports and recreation venues
- Roads (g., school bus, car, bicycle, and golf cart accidents)
- Stores, dentists’ and doctors’ offices, and other businesses
- Private residences (g., dog bites, injuries from dangerous toys, and swimming pool accidents)
Discuss Your Family’s Case with South Carolina Child Injury Lawyer, Marc Brown
If you have questions about your family’s legal rights and would like to speak with an attorney, please contact our offices to schedule a free initial consultation with a child injury attorney, Marc Brown. To find out if your family is entitled to financial compensation for your child’s injury, call us or fill out our convenient online form now.